Sunday, July 8, 2012

Web Log: Common School Comments

My beliefs regaurding the Common System of Education:

One aspect of the common school system that I liked was the idea of a 'common culture'. This idea of children of all cultures coming togther in a school house is wonderful, but I felt as though the anglo saxon's destroyed ths view by manipulating it for their own good.  They wanted everyone to be like them so instead of everyone coming togethr to create a new and better (diverse) culture it was everyone becoming like them.  In my own experience, people who force their beliefs on others are the ones most afraid of change.  I went to an affluent high school where being rich and dressing 'preppy' was the only way to be cool.  I was more into theatre in high school and I had a lot of friends that loved to wear vintage outfits that they put together themselves.  I learned a lot from my friends that stood up for themselves or cared more about making themselves happy instead of focusing on what others think.  This experience helped me to be the student I am today because I was afraid of being geeky or uncool for liking science and math, but these friends taught me that I need to be proud of who I am and that everyone has something special to contribute.

The Common School System's idea of having state influence also benefited this plan because then the source of money and being official/certified was all power in the hands of the anglo saxons.  The common school while a nice idea was too focused on control and power instead of freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment