Thursday, July 12, 2012

Writing Circle Review (5)

For class yesterday I read chapter 9 in Spring's book. It was all about the vocational system of education. This chapter really made me think about my own public school education and how it was affected by this part of American school history. Did my high school teach me to be focused on getting a job after high school or even after college or did that influence come from somewhere else? Because that drive definately exists. I really didn't like the influence that the government had on schools. I feel like our school system and our economy should at least try to be separated; I do believe that vocational school is a great way for those who know they aren't right for college to learn a trade, but what makes them believe they aren't right for society. I mean back when vocational schools started out the vocational guidance counselors pushed those from lower SES to not think about college and instead focus on which vocation would be best for them. This chapter really made me think about if I had gone to a Catholic high school would I have been affected as much as my public school?

No comments:

Post a Comment