Monday, June 18, 2012

Class Survey (Web Log 1)

Hey guys my name is Liz Lewis.  Welcome to my blog! I'm originally from Buffalo, New York, but for the past ten years my family and I have been living in Hudson, Ohio.  My email is elewis12@jcu.edu if you ever need to reach me.  Even though I go by Liz my family calls me Elizabeth so I respond to either, but PLEASE don't call me Lizzie I will not respond to that.  I am in the School Based M. Ed program and I'll be teaching Chemistry this fall at St. Ignatius. I love doing new things and going new places; next week I'm going to go rock climbing with some friends.  I've been skydiving, white water rafting, and this past March I was able to go to March for ten days.

My learning style is pretty traditional.  I don't mind being lectured to, but it is nice to have group discussions.  In order for me to take risks in class I need to feel as though the teacher is open to hearing what I have to say even if it doesn't agree with their opinions.  I don't really mind speaking up in class I've always been that kid in class that raises their hand a lot. I have also been the student who bugs the teacher about assignments way in advance because if something is sprung on me last minute I get extremely anxious.  I love to plan out my homework so I know I'll have enough time to do it well.  Towards the end of the class I tend to not do as much of the reading since most of the time that's when projects are due so projects always take precedent over readings when there isn't enough time.  When I can't understand something I have zero fear of asking a teacher/student for help. 

My favorite experience as a student so far (no offense Dr. Shutkin that it wasn't our summer class together...) was in high school.  It was a humanities course that covered: anthropology, philosophy, sociology, and psychology.  The class was so great because everyone was devoted to it since we all had to interview/apply to take the course.  Every day when we would have a discussion everyone would participate; it was so wonderful hearing everyone's opinion and take on the different topics.  One of my biggest concerns for the field of Education is that students don't want to put in the effort to get the grades.  They expect everything to be handed to them and to be so easy.  I've seen it a lot with my fellow students in the past few years especially in group work.  No one is willing to put in any work it's almost as difficult as pulling teeth to have them help with the project.  So for that to translate to education it poses an opportunity for me to try to motivate students in a new way that will make them want to learn and be excited about school.  I think that this course has the opportunity to teach me a lot about not only the history of education, but also how to be a great teacher.  Class discussions over readings are one of the best ways that I learn since it forces me to read the assignment with a more critical view.  I would prefer it if the class avoided big group projects since it is always extremely difficult to coordinate schedules as well as designate work. 





No comments:

Post a Comment